Saturday 10 August 2019

First Attempt at Quilting!


To go with the card I made in the previous post I wanted to make a gift for the baby.
I knew that the nursery was having a Dumbo theme.
I found some fat quarter's in Hobbycraft that were Dumbo and in pinks perfect.
I have never made a quilt before but had brought some fabric dies to use in my Big Shot Plus,
I cut out a number of squares from each piece of material and the worked out a pattern I liked. 
Before I did any sewing I found some help from 
Pinterest and You Tube!
I sewed the squares into 12x12 blocks, then joined the blocks into rows and fixed the rows together. Amazing what you can learn online.
I then watched some more tutorials and added the wadding and backing to the panel. Then I stitched each square to give the quilting effect.
Now come the how part finishing the quilt of with some binding.
I cut 2.S" strips of the backing material and joined them together.
I then folded it in half, ironed it and attached it to the quilt.
Again this involved watching some videos of how to do cornes etc
Finally I folded the binding over and attached it on the otherside.
It had taken me an afternoon and an evening but I am really pleased with how it turned out.

Thisis for the following challenges


Thanks for looking

3 comments:

Contagiously Crafty said...

Congratulations on your first quilt. The colors and patterns work so well together.

Dotty Jo said...

Well done you! I used to quilt so I know how tricky it is to get everything looking so neat, Jo x

Di said...

Wow Nicky - this is just great, well done on making your first quilt. A real labour of love but what a result! So worth it.

Hugs

Di xx